Thursday, February 01, 2007

It’s Getting Hot In Here

It’s interesting to watch the theme of global warming slowly but surely gathering pace and momentum on all the major news channels on TV at the moment – at least on the UK ones anyway – helped I’m sure by the idiotically mild winter that we’re "enjoying" at the moment.

Scientists are both amazed and concerned that all over the country daffodils and hosts of other spring flowers are already appearing months and months ahead of schedule. Bees have also been spotted in various places - looking very confused and sluggish (mind you if you were a bee and you looked like a slug you’d be justified in your confusion). None of this is good.

One good frost could either wipe out the lot or severely stunt future growth.

Such advance flowerings and early insectoid awakenings have other more fundamentally worrying knock-on effect too: they upset the whole balance of the ecosystem which runs itself based on the timings of a million different variables. If those variables are now messed up then the whole system is liable to crash. In today’s computer age it’s an analogy that I’m sure we can all identify with.

The question is no longer: "does global warming exist?" but "what are we going to do about it now that it’s here?"

It’s about time that the politicians of the world realized that we no longer have the time or the leisure to debate the issue. We have to act now. The pendulum is already swinging...

For those of you that are interested, I’ve written more on this topic on my web site at www.pocketropolis.com

2 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

Global warming does scare me and it is obviously taking effect now. In addition to the examples you've given, look at the all the hurricanes that have occured in the last couple of years - some in the UK! Shocking stuff.

It sounds selfish, but I'm rather glad I won't be around in 50-100 years time, as I'm sure climatic conditions are going to get worse. Unless, as you say something is done to halt what has already been started.

Steve said...

Yeah, I look at my boy and fear greatly for his future. Trouble is I think even in the next 30 years we're going to see huge changes and disasters all resulting from the effects of global warming... I don't think our generation is going to escape some of the shit that's about to hit the fan!