Sunday, October 14, 2007

Home

It's been an incredibly busy week in the Herrick-Blake household and we're all pretty shattered. However, it's lovely to have everyone home.

Karen and Tom were allowed to leave the hospital on Friday afternoon and since then we've been acclimatizing Tom to his new surroundings. He was a little freaked out at first - I guess he'd got used to his life on the hospital ward and suddenly everything was different: new sounds (a lot quieter), new smells, new sights. He was quite fractious Friday night but since then has been a lot more calm and settled.

I must admit I never thought I'd be one to go "all soppy" but quite honestly I can sit and look at him for hours and love holding him. Every facial expression is a delight and that goes for every sneeze, gurgle and poo too - the latter seeming to be very hard work for him at the moment!

Anyway, I hereby promise not to let this blog turn into a one-track paean to babyhood and baby rearing - I know such things are not everybody's cup of tea - but please do forgive me if I occasionally lapse into baby-centric rhapsody every now and then...

I'm totally in love!

7 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

Of course you're allowed to be baby-centric, it's natural and very exciting!

Oddly enough I was visiting a mate yesterday who has recently given birth - quite a few lady friends of mind have had babies of late too. 2007 must be the year for it!

The Sagittarian said...

aw, thats very sweet. Clearly you're still getting enough sleep.

Steve said...

It's weird OC, the labour ward was jam packed with new and soon-to-be mums too - must be a very popular time of year (or February was)!

Hi Amanda, have to say Tom seems to be a very calm, very trainable baby and seems to have picked up his feeding routine like a dream. Hope that doesn't sound too much like boasting!

Old Cheeser said...

I reckon so!

Okay, looks like Gustavo and I will be adopting next...!

....Or perhaps not! I am way too selfish to bring up kids and so is he.

But I have immense respect and admiration for anyone who is a parent, honest to God.

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Just hold/kill the poo and I'll happily read the rest!

best

Laura

Steve said...

Hi Laura, actually the poor little mite is a bit constipated at the mo which isn't fun for him at all... once he's doing the business properly again I'll only be too glad to hold it!

Steve said...

Hi OC - I reckon you and Gustavo would make great parents... feel like baby-sitting sometime?